This wine has been aged four years before bottling. Mainly Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz, Tinto Cão and Sousão grapes have been used for this port and all grapes are grown at Quinta do Pégo’s A classified vineyards in the Douro Valley in Portugal.
The port has a very vibrant dark colour. Aromatically rich, the black fruit such as plum and floral notes of citrus are excelling on the nose. These flavours are also present on the palate, resulting in a persistent aftertaste. In the mouth it has an excellent volume, a very present acidity, alive but well integrated tannins with notes of black fruit, especially plum. Its finish is long and intense. The taste is just as good as many vintage ports.
This port is ready to drink now if you want a young, concentrated and very fruity taste. But if you prefer a more mature and soft port, you should wait a couple of years – and then remember that decanting is necessary in order to avoid the natural depôt which arises because the wine is unfiltered (like vintage port). That is one of the reasons why it is possible to obtain this extremely high quality.
This port is perfect as an ”after-dinner-drink, but you can also enjoy Quinta do Pégo Late Bottled Vintage 2010 with creamy cheese, chocolate and candied fruit. Serve it slightly chilled or at temperature between 14ºC and 16ºC.
- Gold at International Wine Challenge 2015
- Gold at Wine Masters Challenge 2015
- Gold at Mundus vini 2015
- Silver at Decanter World Wine Awards 2015
- Bronze at International Wine & Spirit Competition 2015
- 4 stars at www.vinavisen.dk in week 10, 2015
- 5 stars in Ekstra Bladet 6th December 2014
- Wine find and 5 stars at www.vinbladet.dk 11th December 2015
- 5 stars at www.ekstrabladet.dk 11th December 2015
- 6 stars at www.finansbureauet.dk 16th November 2015
- Wine of the month in Penge & Privatøkonomi, November 2015
- 6 stars at www.denkorteavis.dk 1st Juli 2015